Tuesday 25 August, 2009

So Lickable! Plus an award!


Drool!

When life gives you lemons, what do you do? Make lemonade, of course!

But what do you do when life gives you fears, tensions, anxieties, age? You do what I do.

Just shut down completely, and go back to those days when fears, tensions, anxieties were limited to only 'how will I score in tomorrow's paper?' and aging meant waiting to turn sweet sixteen.

I had a very amazing childhood. Growing up in the late 80s and 90s was a great gift, I think. Children born in this era will never experience what we had then. We lived a day at a time, with no plans, no worries. Everything was so damn good.

I was just thinking back to those days this morning, when an incident popped up in my mind. I thought I should share, because I know there are people in this world who have this exact same habit as I did (and sometimes still do!)

You see, when I was younger, I had the (bad?) habit of licking up my plate after I finished eating my food. And this was more prominent when I was given a delicious bowl of ice cream. I would not leave a single sliver of the delicious cream behind, licking it all up! My mom used to get very irritated, but needless to say it did not stop me!

One day, my dad's colleague has invited us to dinner. So we were all dressed up and we went over to their place. Had a lovely dinner of chicken biryani and other such goodies. And the hostess then gave us ginormous bowls of vanilla ice cream. I am not much of a vanilla fan, but whatever! It's ice cream!

So I dug in. Now the thing is, when I am eating food, especially really delicious ones, I get transported to another world. The current world does not exist for me. I simply drift off, a yogi like expression on my face. I enjoy every morsel, every time the food particle tickles my tongue. Happiness is truly a good bite to eat. And that is exactly what I was doing when I ate that vanilla ice cream.

Suddenly, I felt someone poking me from the side. I woke up from my trance, and saw my mom with an angered expression on her face. I raised an eyebrow and looked around the table. Everyone had a deadpan expression on their faces. 'What's their problem?' I wondered. Then I looked down and realized what I was doing.

My hand was cupping the bowl, and my tongue was swirling around it. I was licking the bowl! Oops. My face turned into an unknown shade of red as I placed the bowl back on the table. 'Excuse me,' I mumbled and ran to the restroom. I could hear roaring laughter behind me.

Needless to say, I gave up my licking habits, though my tongue still finds the bowl occasionally :)

xxx

In other news, I have received my very first award, courtesy Kaddu (miss_terious) Thank you so much :) It really means a lot to me! I further pass this award to Meghana and umangexuberance. Cheers!



There's also an ABC tag to do along with this, which I will do in my next post :)

6 comments:

Aditya Kasavaraju said...

lol that must have been embrassing then but very funny and memorable now :D. You are right. Growing up during the 90s was the best thing that happened. Pity the new generation :P

Shawn McMurphy said...

Hehe..that was a cute little story! :) And congrats on the award!

umangexuberance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
umangexuberance said...

hey iggy
thanks a lot..its my first award for this blog :)
*hugs*
PS: whats the ABC tag?

gum drop said...

Very cool post Sup. I agree that growing up in the 80's and 90's was one of the best things we can be thankful for. Things were simple back then as compared to the exponentially increasing complexities that childhood is now characterized by. My sister has this licking the plate/bowl habit. Thankfully, its only at our dining table that she does it. I am sure your hostess was very flattered by your manner; you really appreciated her meal!! =))

Also, funny that incidents that seem so acutely embarrassing and woeful back while growing up are a source of cute humor now!! =))

Meghana Naidu said...

Iggy!!

sorry for not 'acknowledging' this earlier. Thrank yous :D

i was away as you know, but [insert terminator voice here]I am back!

missed reading you... will catch up ;) and the GM diet eh?
i been wanting to start on that one ever since u wrote about it. must say, im rather in awe of you now
O_O
5 days et al
O_O